Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:55:37 -0700
Hello everyone out there in 'fuzzy' land .... just thought I'd post an
update on the results of Sasha's recent blood work and I'm interested
in knowing if anyone has any further insight about the enlarged spleen
issue and ferrets with anemia.

The doc said that Sasha is anemic and recommended that I either begin
giving her vitamins (from the vet) or get her to begin eating as high a
protein diet as possible to increase her iron level- the doc suggested I
add cooked liver to her modified chix gravy recipe I'm currently feeding
her.  Every 4 hrs. she's eating about 2-2.5 Tbsp of this homemade mush
(ground cooked chicken and hamburger, vit D milk, Ferretone for
flavoring, and ground Zupreem kibble).

The irony in all of this is that I, myself, was just diagnosed with
anemia this past week as well (after passing out at work) and ending up
in the ER so now I, too, am on a strict diet and taking iron suppliments
to bring my red blood cell level back up.  My doc AND Sasha's doctor
both said that this should greatly reduce the lethargy we've both been
experiencing and get us back to a more active, healthy state so Sasha and
I are literally in this together :-)

The vet said at this point she can't determine what has caused the anemia
or the spleen to enlarge, which is frustrating, b/c how then do I/we go
about trying to get it back down to normal -if possible?  I guess I
thought that the reason for the bloodwork was to determine if there was
an infection present and then antibiotics would help eliminate that but
the doc said the reason for the swelling couldn't be determined at this
time .....

Also, the vet also said that hopefully the added iron will bring the
anemia under control and then that, in turn, might combat the spleen
swelling as well.  Might be a case of the spleen manufacturing extra
blood cells to make up for Sasha's system doesn't currently have ....

Is removal of the spleen sometimes down the road the only option?  I've
read some published materials from Dr. Williams, who said that ferrets
can live just fine with an enlarged spleen but he also recommended
removal on a case by case basis - so how would I know which to do -
leave it in or take it out?

So, I guess we'll continue the high-protein, high-iron diet (for both of
us) and hopefully that will help bring the anemia under control and help
Sasha also gain back her weight (NOT a problem with me - LOL!)

Thanks so much to everyone out there for your input and insight ....
it's always welcome so please feel free to email anytime!

 :-)  Jennifer, Sasha & Snowy