From:
Richard Beveridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 17:53:31 -0700
In this day and age very few people actually read a whole article, be
it in the paper or on this list. To that end, I urge your contributors
to be very careful on what you submit.

A case in point:
Last week a few FML'ers posted about ferrets biting calfs. Readers in
.....say....California....due to their busy schedules....would only
pick up on KEY words in any article they happen to read.  FERRET BITES
CALF!!!  When they got to work, the story would become FERRETS BITE
CALVES.  By lunch time, the coffee room would be all aglow with letters
being sent to senators about all those ferrets biting and killing baby
cows.  Of course the headlines in the morning papers would edit the odd
word out and fly a banner stating "Bands of Ferrets attacking and Killing
herds of Cows.....  then quote someone who once thought he saw a ferret
and heard that they can bite.

Well...that pretty much explains how the rumor got started about Cow
Killing by roving bands of Ferrets...  and we have no one to blame but
ourselves!.  So...  in the future, lets be careful out there and think
twice about the words we use......remember...  some Californian Politician
may be reading.
Regards Rick

[Moderator's note: I'd say something about that Rick's being tounge in
cheek, but it'd probably start a rumor about how they bite tounges and
cheeks.  And who knows which cheeks would be implicated.  BIG]