From:
Lisa Carswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 20:12:13 -0500
*Sigh* Okay, I'm sure I'll get some flames for this, BUT...

Why automatically assume the worst about a ferret owner who comes to a vet
for the declawing procedure?  Perhaps they -aren't- going to dump their
ferret after they've had the declawing; perhaps -they're- not the ones who
are putting material things ahead of their animal's well-being.  Don't get
me wrong...I don't support declawing, but I don't think we should
automatically judge someone who, perhaps, might need it done in order to
keep their ferrets.  I once rented from a landlord who had a clause in the
lease that any cat kept inside the house -must- be declawed.  If you were
caught with a non-declawed cat in the house, you were subject to immediate
eviction.  Luckily, I only had an outside dog at the time, so I didn't have
to worry about that.  But what if I were renting right now from someone who
had a similar clause about ferrets?  What if that living space was the only
one in my price range and no one could keep my ferrets for me until I could
find another place?  Do I break up my family and let my furkids think I
don't love them anymore because I gave them away?  Believe me, if -I- had to
give up my own toes in order to keep my fuzzies, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
I do, however, agree that anyone who would demand that their ferret be
either declawed or put to sleep is -definitely- not worthy of a ferret.

Speaking for myself, I don't think I would ever be in a situation where I
would have to have my babies declawed...but I can see where someone else
might be put in that situation.  In an ideal world, everyone who loved
ferrets would have their own home with all the space for the fuzzies that
was needed...but we all know the world isn't ideal, so let's not be so
quick to assume the worst of someone who might be put in a situation where
they have to make a hard decision.

Just my thoughts on the matter...
Lisa
Mom of Zorro, Claudia, and Loki
"There in the midst of it so alive and so alone
Words support like bone."
                          --Peter Gabriel
                            "Mercy Street"