From:
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 10:24:22 -0700
Well we've managed to place them all again.  Our shelter is again empty of
homeless ferrets.  We have such good people in our area that we don't have
to keep them long.  We have a mandatory 30 day observation period where we
keep a real close eye on the ferrets.  We won't adopt out ill ferrets.  We
also won't adopt out older ferrets.  They've been through enough that if
they come in they stay with our oldsters.  We don't adopt out any ferret
with a medical condition, not fair to sick ferrets to have to constantly
change homes.  We also don't feel its right to put a ferret into a new home
for such a short while if they are in any danger of dying.  Not fair to the
ferret, not fair to the adopter.  We also don't take donations or sponsors
for ferrets.  If we couldn't afford this we wouldn't do it.

This last pair went to a local family that had had their prized pet stolen.
The grandmother is a delightful older lady who is unfortunately losing her
sight.  But the way she and the ferrets took to each other was wonderful.
The second generation folks were good people and the young child was
absolutely in love with all the ferrets.  We believe these folks will make a
wonderful home for these two ferrets.  Actually two homes.  Grandma is the
day care for the ferrets.  I liked that.

It things like this that make it worthwhile to run a shelter.  I prefer not
to dwell on the bad times.  Yes they happen.  I prefer to remember the
warmth we felt when these ferrets and people adopted each other.

We have no shortage of ferrets at home.  With our oldsters, breeders and
kits its still a wonderfully hectic ferret frenzy.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]