Date:
Sat, 16 May 1998 16:20:59 -0500
I have to agree with what Melissa wrote.  I've read the posts of people
having to "get rid" of their fuzzies, and some have touched my heart and
I've genuinely felt for the owners having to get rid of their babies.  Then
there have been the ones that have made me question people's motives.  If
people need to "get rid" of their ferrets so badly, why do they ask upwards
of $100 for them?  I, for one, would much rather give that money to a
shelter that needs it rather than help some irresponsible individual
"profit" from me.  (I'm not saying they're all irresponsible, but we know
some of them are).  Also, it breaks my heart when I see people getting rid
of 4 and 6 month old ferrets.  Something is not right there.  That tells me
the person made an impulse buy and then got tired of the animal after the
first couple of weeks.  Shame on those people.  That is a little fuzzy life
that YOU took responsibility for.  From a fuzzy's point of view, how much it
must hurt to be that special chosen one, only to have your special human
decide to "get rid" of you a few weeks later.  I'll admit we made some
mistakes when getting ours...our biggest was not fully understanding what
our third roommate was like.  When a friend brought a ferret over and we
all fell in love, our ferret's dad and I decided to get one, and our third
roommate, thinking they were cute, gave his blessing.  A month later he
decided he hated the way Mayonnaise smelled and always got into things, and
he wasn't too happy about our ferret math, plus we aren't supposed to have
pets here (we were real bad there, I know, but I really missed my critters
back home..true animal lovers will understand...), and he decided we should
get rid of our ferrets.  I got quite upset and had a fit, and told him
straight up that he's stuck because he agreed to them, and if he doesn't
like it he can find someone to sublet or I'll leave with my fuzzies and
he'll get stuck for the extra rent.  My fuzzies stayed, although my roommate
and I are a bit estranged now.  My point is, I understand very well that
there are difficult circumstances sometimes, and you just have to deal with
it because you took the responsibility.  I was more than prepared to get
evicted if we got caught...and now that I'm moving in 2 weeks, to a place
where they're welcome, I am very happy.  I know some people don't understand
my attitude, but I really feel that you are taking the responsibility for
this life and it is just like having kids.  You're stuck, through the good
and the bad.  Ferrets might even be better than kids because you can choose
the one you want!  :) and still people dump them off like so much extra
baggage.  It makes me sick.  I genuinely feel for those who are put in
extremely difficult circumstances, but some people should be shot.  Just my
.02 worth.  Sorry so long.

Kristi and the Mustelid Mob of Mayhem
        Mayonnaise, Clover, Luna, and new baby Loki
see the crew at:  http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/4093

Reach me by ICQ. My ICQ# is 194656 or,
* Page me online through my Personal Communication Center:
  http://wwp.mirabilis.com/194656 (go there and try it!) or,
* Send me E-mail Express directly to my computer screen

ferrets are like potato chips...you can't have just one!