From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 11:24:33 EDT
I need some help here.
Before I tell you what I give, do know that I free feed my ferrets with a
mixture of Totally Ferret, Zupreme, and Eukabana Kitten.  They range in age
from 3-10 months old (all but one are 3lbs and over).  All are very healthy
thus far.

I have been giving them a toothpaste size (or more) portion of Ferretvite
(for the younger ones), and the same size amount of Nutircal (for the older
ones... no sp reason).  I also give 3/4 teaspoon (or more) of a 50/50
mixture of Ferretone and olive oil.

First is this ok to do with the olive oil?  What are the benefits of using
it, what are the disadvantages of using it?  Anyone else do this?  Am I
giving way too many vitamins????

My husband feels I am and is very worried.  I am concerned over which to
give them..Ferretvite, or Nutrical.  I don't know the
disadvantages/advantages of each.  Do they even neeeeed any of this on
their current diet?

second issue:
One thing that has bugged us is that I have had ferrets all my life and
never used supplements til I got this group.  It's so odd to me that they
go through colds (never had that before), and have all had a stomack virus
to varying degree over last winter when we had one in the family.  I never
had that before either.  The main concern I have is every 6 weeks it
seems... one of them will pass pure mustardy, slimey (a little greenish)bms
that are almost like water.  It lasts anywheres between 2 days and week and
is gone.  Each time it seems to be a diff ferret.  I thought at one time it
was the heartguard I was giving... well that was shot to heck when the baby
of the bunch passed a yellow, watery bm yesterday and has never had
heartguard.

Granted I used to have ferrets ten years ago.... Granted I don't remember
what major breeders they came from to compare to my current ones.  It just
seems to me that we are having an awful lot of "out of the ordinary"
occurances...that I never encountered before in the twelve years I had
ferrets long ago (I know thats very hard to believe..but true none the
less).  Anyones input on the vitamins would be VERY helpful.

Anyones input on the health things I'm seeing would also be so appreciated.

Wolfy
Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on deafness and ferrets:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/deaf.html
take a peek at upcomming "so you have allergies":
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/allergies.html