From:
"Peta ,Mark & Max" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:01:49 -0800
I'm so happy to hear that the weasels are all getting along so well.  The
ducky is funny as heck, Ferrets find certain shapes or colors or textures
irresistable.  each seem to have a preferance ,, we had one (we have had
about 50 ferrets in the last ten years , all but two were rescues, we had
a commitment to the local petco that when someone brought back a fert
they would call us to come and rescue him/her.We usually found placement
in about a week , but some we not "placeable".  We had a very tough case,
he was Nueby (New-be) , a friend went to visit her friends at thier
apartment and they were gone, she went to the management and inquired,
they didn't know they had left, they went over to the apartment and found
it cleared out and dark as the power was off.  After a quick look around
they heard scratching in the bathroom and that is where they found him.
Nueby was left with the water trickling in the shower and a 10 lbs bag of
cat food on the floor ripped open.  Apparently he was in there in total
darkness by himself for 1-2 weeks ... We got the call, we went over there
and found a lathargic male , thin, fecal matter all over his feet and
just a mental wreck.

It took about a month to see some light in his eyes.  He never got over
the depression but we providd a good life for him , he went in the night
with his family still balled around him .

OK, back to happy places    So with our psuedo rescue.  At one point we
had 13,,,it was too funny, two ferrets take the "Human" funny level to
a 4, three ferrets=6, 4ferts=8, 13, you're peeing your pants you are
laughing so hard ...that multiply the humor so much...and the happy
dancing , dooking, chuckling and all that stuff is super imposed .....

We kept them in a 5 foot square cage that was full of shreaded aspen, I
mean full to about a foot from the top where the food and water was ,
they made and maintained tunnels and sleep cambers and the such , the
floor of the sleeping camber was lined (by them) with socks , washcloths,
shreaded rags, and the stuffing from a few stuffed animals .  all brought
in when they were out and about the house.  the main cage had two tunnels
made out of that black plastic 4 inch tubing, this tyed the main cage to
another cage 4 feet away that was lined with newspaper, shreaded aspen
ans other stuff ,,,,they treated this just like wild ferrets, they will
always poop outside thier burrow if they can.  So they made a distinction
between the two cages as the tubes came up in the "Poop" area much like
to opening to a burrow.... oh and the whole lot, all 13 would sleep in a
huge ball.  The black tubing had a "T" in the middle so when we would let
them out we just pulled out the plug from the "T" and one by one they
would poke thier head out then flash out and under the couch like some
mission impossible thing,,,ninja ferrets.  once they were all out you
would see heads slip out from the bottom, edge of the couch as if to
see if the coast was clear (what is "Coast is clear?  clear of what,
tourist?")

then they would launch out in mass, and the party began , soon the sounds
of trash cans tipping over, cans in lower cabinets being pushed out,
pans being rattled, and then it got quiet, ,,,,that was when you knew
something was being discussed and planned ... soon a diversionary attack
would commence while the others made off with "The Goods".  Raisins,
cookies, dog biscuits, cat treats, heck one could even pull the fridge
door open (well that was also because the door was sort of broken) and
soon the russel of plastic gave a hint of "The Heist"... you would go to
the kitchen just to see a flash of fur going around the corner dragging
a bag of something , most likely fruit.

These ferrets seemed to be more like "The Borg" when one would retire to
the cage the others soon followed and that was the end of the show.  I
figure it was thier way of Regenerating.

If we could have only made it into some sort of grenwich village dinner
show we'd be rich.

Well thank you everyone for the nice words , it is nice to be back...
Mark (Death Adder)