From:
April Gallaty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:11:23 -0500
I was reading about the great escape that Kathy Maxwell went through and
she asked for some gray hair moments.  Here is mine.  Fortunately, these
gray hair moments are rare.  I have more than one, but this one re-colored
half my head in one shot!
     -----------------------------------
Hurricane is coming.  (I live in FL).  Secure the house, set up ferret cage
in safe place, store food and water and batteries and radio, AND fill up
bath tub.

You may ask, 'Why do you fill up your bathtub?'.  Well, the theory is, that
if the hurricane damages the area and the utilities get messed up, you can
at least have water to flush the toilet with and keep the nasties out of
your general vacinity.

WELLLLLL, the hurricane came and went and everyone's guard came down.  I
let the kids roam again and we started to relax and put things back in
storage.  I forgot to empty the tub.  That's o.k.  though, right?  I mean,
the ferrets can't get into a garden Jacuzzi tub by themselves, right?

My hubby and I took off for the evening that night and left the kids out.
(We really do have things ferret proof.  I swear!);-)  Anyway, we get home
three hours later and I start looking for my crew.  Everyone is accounted
for but Venus.  We looked in all the main sleepy areas and can't find her.
We finally found her a few minutes later with her sitting on a bath pillow
in the middle of my tub.

There was nothing on or near the tub for her to get on and the pillow was
suctioned to the far wall in the tub.  I still don't know how she got in
there.

The poor thing was cold and wet.  We think, but don't know for sure, but we
think she fell in, grabbed the pillow, got on top, and tried to shake the
water off and fell in again.  She probably did this a few times before she
figured out she couldn't shake on that pillow.  She was stock still when we
picked her up.  She didn't even move when she saw us.  I had her checked
out that night, and all was well.

So, now, we don't leave water in the tub and we don't leave the bathroom
open for them.  I know she thought it would be fun to get in there because
when I take a bath, I let them get in one at a time and I hold them and let
them paddle.  Sometimes I let them all get in when I get out and leave a
1/2 inch of water in the tub as it drains out.  They paddle and play and
have fun.  Believe it or not, she still plays in the tub and is cool with
it.  I just am more careful!

Ack, I feel gray hairs coming on just thinking about it.  I swear, when
things like this happen, I just want to turn myself over to the FLO.

Keep sending those cards on Sayit.com.  We are really racking up the
points!  There is no way to know if I'm ahead or not, but we are really
kicking it!  Thanks to all that are helping me out!

April and the LOVES swim team

PS.  My timing is really bad.  I have been on vacation and didn't read the
post about Jewel.  My condolences and I send warm fuzzy thoughts your way.
You are not a horrible person.  Reading above, you can see that we all make
mistakes.  My story could have had a totally different ending if I hadn't
had a bath pillow or it could not have happened at all if I had remembered
to empty the tub.  You are not a bad person or a bad fuzzy mom.  Jewel will
be waiting for you one day forgivingly with lots of kisses for you.  It's
the sad stories that show us that these guys can overwhelm us and
themselves and we have to be alert.  Again, I really hope you don't get
any flames and I hope you heal soon.

Dooks and Fuzzy kisses from the LOVES ferrets...