From:
ERIKA MATULICH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 12:23:07 -0600
Could the vets please comment on chocolate toxicity?  After my Bobbin ate
two Hershey's Kisses (an unsupervised raid into a wrapped xmas present), she
had a seizure and went into a coma.  Bobbin had to be put to sleep.  The vet
who autopsied commented that her chemistry looked extremely similar to
chocolate poisoning cases he had seen in dogs and cats.  Similarly, vets at
the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital in both Madison-Wisconsin and
Gainesville-Florida mentioned that feeding of even small amounts of
chocolate could cause problems because the toxins were not expelled and
built up in the body.  What other theories are out there?  I am now scared
to death to even let one of my ferrets LICK chocolate.  With the holiday
season coming upon us, this is an important issue.

- Erika (and Misty and Sasha and Lizzie)