From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:59:11 EDT
>I would just like to give a collective thanks to all who responded to my
>query about cats and ferrets being able to live in harmony.  Happily, I
>got more positive responses than negative ones.  However, I just spoke
>to the breeder today and she says she would not be able to not "worry"
>about the kitten living with the ferrets so has decided not to let me
>have him.  I'm not afraid to tell you that I got a little emotional
>and actually cried on the phone, so I had to e-mail her later, since I
>believe she is judging me not to have sense enough to care for/protect
>a small kitten who she is worried about living with "predators"....

Hi Elizabeth ~

We've had ferrets on our farm for a long time.  We also have cats.
Recently I adopted a little deaf ferret from Pennsylvania.  She is now
15 weeks old.  We have 2 baby kitties here.  One of our females keeps
getting out (sigh).  The kitties are 12 weeks old.  I questioned the
safety of letting kittens and ferrets play together and here is what I
read; experienced.

Kittens do not yet have the ability of rough play that ferrets do, and
ferrets teeth are very sharp.  It is best to train the ferrets not to
play-bite.  When the kittens are juveniles (about 3-4 months or so), and
have more weight on them, it's ok to let them play together.  I've done
this two times.  Currently our new little deaf ferret has two best
buddies: the kittens!

Hope this helps ~
Mary C