Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1992 11:14:58 -0400
Has anyone done any studies into if ferrets converse with each
other using ultrasonics?

Beeing small, they should have no trouble hearing sounds above 20
kHz, but do they make them? To me, they are practically silent
most of the time, and when they aren't they either hiss when
frustrated or yip when happy. My reason to believe they may
produce other sounds, is that they very quickly learn to
understand what I say -- faster than dogs even -- which seems to
indicate that they consider sound as a form of communication,
more complicated than hiss/yip.
--
 Urban Fredriksson   [log in to unmask]
 Stockholm, Sweden