From:
Renee Alyce Clare-Kovacs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 11:43:31 -0400
This is my first posting on the FML so please be patient with me!

I adopted a 16 week old fuzzy in Orlando Florida on October 1 which meant a
lot to me because I am a bigtime "Disneyoid" and for those of you living in
a bubble, the 1st was the 25th anniversary of Disney World.  Of course I had
to name my fuzzy little ferret girl Tinkerbell.  Because we really live in
Atlanta (my huband is in Florida on business) we got her and the cat
acclimated in a hotel room which made it really nice, neutral territorry and
all.  In answer to how to acclimate a new fuzzy to a house, START SMALL.
Tink was already used to her cage so we put it in the living room.  When I
am in here, she can come in the office, but we are still blocking the
bedroom, bathroom and patio.  She finds the couch (behind the cushions but
in front of the back) the best place to sleep now that I have blocked her
hidey hole.  Which leads me to my second point...FERRET PROOF!!!  I thought
about the tube that is waiting for my washer and dryer, but I never knew
about the space between my cupboard and dishwasher.  Trust me, Tink knew
about it!!!  Also, expensive toys are not necissary.  (I never could spell
that) Ryan bought Tink a 10 foot drainage tube from Home Depot for $3
(including tax!!) that she loves and is quite durable vs. the $39.95 for 1
10 foot section ferret tube I saw at the pet store the other day.  Also, she
is having a ball with the toilet paper roll she found in the trash last
night.  She rolls around on it and has conviently chewed the side for ease
of carrying room to room.

Second, my kudos and envy got to Larissa because her new fuzzy uses her
litter box.  If I catch her in time and take her to it, Tink will go in the
litter box.  She, however, will not poo in it, she reserves that "privledge"
for my moulding.  I am wondering if having a small lip on the litter box
would be a better thing?  The current litter box we have is about 8 inches
floor to door.  The breeder I got her from said she used a disposable turkey
roasting pan which I tried but the only poo that made it were the ones I put
in once I found them and showed Tink where they go.  My sincere appreciation
goes to the guy who suggested ben gay over bitter apple, my apartment will
clean your sinuses but Tink will NOT leave her little gifts under the couch
anymore!!  (I got a bruise on my arm getting the literal s**t load out
before...looking for fuzzy owner sympathy!!)

Is there a ferrets anon in Atlanta?  We just moved here and are always
looking to expand our social circles.

And finally, I am considering breeding my little "darling" (I say that now,
she's sleeping!!) if only once for the experience.  Any hints, tips,
suggestions, warnings?

Sincerest thanks for anyone willing to help me out with ANY suggestions.

Renee and Tinkerbell