From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 21:14:50 -0400
That is a good question.  How long does the distemper vaccine last in
ferrets?  We simply do not know the answer to that question.  A duration of
immunity study would have to be done.  Basically this means ferrets would
have to be vaccinated then monitored for titers and challenged frequently
for years.  The vaccine companies are not likely to foot the bill for this.
That means a vet school or research center would have to do this, but it
has not been done as of yet.  Since distemper is almost 100% fatal, I would
not take any chances.  The same with rabies.  It is a fatal disease.  Plus
an unvaccinated ferret will likely get the death penalty if it bites or
scratches someone and is reported.

BTW-I get my rabies vaccine every 2 years!  The human vaccine cost $50 a
dose.

Jerry Murray, DVM