From:
Ken Nyren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:49:42 -0400
Over the past few weeks I have seen several people say there is nothing
to do about Lymphoma. Well I can tell you that we have had 2 ferrets
treated for lymphoma in the last 3 years. One was 7 at the time of
treatment and lived to be 9 1/2 and crossed the bridge from insilinoma.
The other is about 5 and just finished his treatments. When he started
he had about 70% hair loss and a big swollen belly, He started to
regrow hair within the first couple of weeks and now is his old self
and his last blood work came back normal. The treatment our vet uses is
a type of chemo protocol but it is injectable and does not require the
ferret to be put under to do the treatment. Neither of the ferrets we
have had go through the treatments was stressed by them. We live just
a mile from the vet so we would drop them in the morning and pick them
up in the afternoon. On the days we did a treatments and didn't drop
them the treatment took just a few minutes.

Our vet is so excited about the results that she is preparing to
publish a paper about it. Granted the treatment is not inexpensive but
who ever said it was inexpensive to provide the best care for your
fuzz butts. I just wanted to let everyone know that we have had total
remission in both ferrets we have had treated for lymphoma, so I don't
consider it a hopeless diagnosis at all.