From:
Robmary June <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 10:57:33 -0800
>Subject: why breed at all?
>... This post is just my opinion.  Why are people breeding when there
>are so many ferrets in shelters across the US and other places that are
>waiting for homes?

You know, I've been thinking something of the same thing, but haven't been
in the mood to get flamed.  Mine is more along the line of: Do we really
need the ferret mills?  - Or better yet, is there any way we could get
them to cut down?  I know - more product, more sales, more money, I just
have a hard time with animals being treated like any other "product" on
the market.

Yes, we should have babies available, but so many?  It's just so hard
seeing people have such ready access to these babies with no idea how to
care for them (heck, guess that could apply to kids, too, but that's
another list <g>).

My husbands mentioned to me once that ferrets are something of a "fad" pet
to a lot of people - oooh they're so cool and so different, but there is
no thought as to how to take care of them...

Now I'm rambling.  Anyway, it's just been on my mind lately.  I'm glad
someone brought it up!

Mary
Northern Nevada Ferret Network