From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 09:08:02 -0400
I think I've discovered a way to hypnotize my ferrets!

Last weekend, my daughter and I were doing nails.  We've found the easiest
way to do it is for me to scruff, and her to do the cutting of the nails.
As I was holding Pepper, I tipped her back so Michelle could see/reach the
nails easier.  Her bottom and back were supported by my non-scruffing
hand, and her head was just a little lower than her body.  To my shock,
her front legs stretched out stiffly, and she got a glazed look in her
eyes.  She didn't even move AT ALL while her nails were being clipped.
After she was put back upright, she looked at me with this vague look on
her face, like she just woke up.

I tried this with the other three we still had to do, and the exact same
thing happened.  Even Buddy who usually fights the scruff and thrashes
around while getting his nails trimmed, just blissed out.  I was reminded
of a film I saw in Biology class where they put chickens and frogs on
their backs, and the same thing happened.  It's probably a defense
mechanism against predation, but has anyone else had this happen?

Try it, and let me know what happens with your ferrets.  A friend with a
part Aussie ferret who is an absolute terror when scruffed for nail
trimming is going to give me his results when he tries it.

Look into my eyes....  look up at the ceiling....  you are getting
sleepy, sleepy...              (-) (-)      (X) (X)  ( ) ( )

 (o) (o)  (O) (O)  ....MOM! What did you DO to me?   ROFL!

Melodyt and the elven eight