From:
Lynn Foster or Chris Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:59:39 -0400
Dear FML:

OK - here is the info on where you can send a fax or phone call (sorry no
email) and remember you must act fast as this case is to be heard this
Thursday, July 22.

Fax:   1 905 430 4151
Phone: 1 905 430 4150

Below is a basic letter you can use (delete parts or jazz it up if you feel
the need) and you will need to fax it - also make a call if you can as the
more fuss we make the more impact this is going to have on the Crown
Attorney's Office.  I got the impression as I was tracking down this info
that the animal cruelty part of this case is still being viewed somewhat as
a non-starter.  Let's make sure they understand in the nicest possible way,
at the Crown Attorney's Office, that we will not be dismissed and that the
cruelty to animal charges on both people involved are important charges
that must be followed through on.

It is up to us to defend the reputation and honour of ferrets everywhere
and specially this un-named little friend who has given his/her life to
save these two children from a fate worse than death.  With those thoughts
in mind please call or fax - Lets make this a big deal and make our voices
heard.

Crown Attorney's Office
3000 Garden Street,
Suite 300,
Whitby, Ontario, Canada,
L1R 2T6
July 20, 1999

To the Attention of the Crown Attorney's Office,

Regarding the case of child abuse and animal cruelty regarding the Canada
Day ferret attack.

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am very concerned about the case that is to be heard this week regarding
the 19 year-old woman and her 21 year-old boyfriend who are up on numerous
charges, including cruelty to animals.  The cruelty charge stems from a
veterinarian report at the autopsy of the ferret who attacked her 2 month
old child.  The vet report showed the animal had been starved and abused.
I am a ferret owner and can assure you that after owning many ferrets they
are loving and gentle companion animals when treated in a humane manner.

As you are aware the Cruelty to Animals Laws are currently being re-written
to show much stiffer penalties for acts of cruelty as research has shown
that the criminal act of various forms of cruelty is often followed up on
humans, and indeed this seems to be the case here.  I want to assure the
Court that as a citizen of Ontario I want the cruelty to animal charge
served and I would like to see these two people forbidden from owning
animals again.  It is a privilege and not a right to have a pet.

The only comfort I can take from this tragic case is that the ferret did
not die in vain but this sad incident called to the attention of the
Children's Aid Society that these children were in great danger and
needed to removed from the "care" of these two pathetic individuals.

Please, on behalf of pet owners everywhere, make sure these two people
never are allowed to own any pet ever again.

I thank you for your attention to this matter.

Yours truly,

Mrs. Lynn Foster
374 Kerrybrook Drive
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada,
L4C 3R1

cc (by Email) Honourable Anne McLellan, Solicitor General of Canada -