Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 21:04:58 -0400
Hi, everyone,

I have two ferrets who were intubated regularly at Eastern Carolina
University Medical School.  That school most definitely adopts out their
ferrets when they can no longer tolerate the procedure well.  Kodo and
Podo (now just about eight years old) are two of the sweetest and most
affectionate ferrets you'll ever meet.  They've been at a couple of
Triangle Ferret Lovers (http://www.trifl.org) education days, and they
are wonderful spokesferrets and wonderful pets.

While I'm sure the repeated intubation was stressful and even traumatic
for them, if they were generally mistreated would they trust people so?
I don't think Kodo or Podo have ever met someone they didn't like in the
time they've been in our home.  Clearly the folks at the lab and their
previous owners after showed them some love.

Oh, and while my ferrets are beloved members of my family, and while I
really love ferrets in general and work for ferret welfare and ferret
education, I still care more about people.  I am not opposed to ferrets
being used in legitimate medical research or training if it saves human
lives.

All the best,
Caity and the non-stop nine