Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 15:49:13 -0500
Linda Doran,
        From what I've learned so far, I agree that legal action may be
the most effective vehicle for change. Government bodies, federal and
state, are prejudiced regarding the concerns of ferret owners. Ferret
owners appear to have less rights than other pet owners in this country,
and it appears to me that the government refuses to accept scientific
evidence as valid.
        With the advent of e-mail ferret owners now have the power to
network like never before in history. Ferret owners could use this
powerful tool to organize a lawsuit, and perhaps this idea is already at
work.
        What steps should we take? We need to map out a plan. Perhaps
first we should contact the heads of all ferret organizations and
determine whether this plan is already in effect or why they feel it may
be counterproductive. I would be interested in knowing whether and why
anyone sees a lawsuit as a potentially counter-productive measure.

        Thoughts anyone? Laura? Dick? Todd? Chris? Marie?

Note: I am far from suggesting radical action.However, I do agree that
civilized legal action may be the most effective route since it will call
attention to the needless harm ferret owners have endured over the years.
All ferret owners want is to enjoy the same rights as other domestic pet
owners in this country.The scientific evidence has been ignored
and is because of this has been insufficient in providing them with
equitable treatment under the law.

                                Kari of Massachusetts