From:
Sunshine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 12:38:30 -0800
>Are you the original parent of the ferrets that nip from inside the cage?
>If not, maybe at some point in their past, they were POKED through the
>cage, say by some children in a pet store?  Do they still nip you if they
>are outside the cage?  Maybe they don't realize that you're petting them
>from outside the cage; maybe it reminds them of some past unpleasant
>cage-related experience.

One of them came from an owner who could not keep her and she was a year
old.  The other, my friend got her from a shelter and she was only 3 months
when we got her.  So the kit was born at the shelter, went to a home for
about a month and then we got her.

The one is a reformed biter and the other plays rough, but this is how I
play with her.  So she nip plays out of the cage.  The other doesn't nip
at all unless she is into something and I need to take her away.

Not sure why they do this, all I know is it's everytime I pet them in the
cage they start to nip me and will keep doing it unless I remove my hands.
Debbie