From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 11:34:14 -0500
The majority of replies have been positive, but I'd like to clarify a few
points for those of you who perhaps thought my reaction was injurious to
the cause of ferret rights and animals in general

First, there was absolutely no press coverage- this occurred in a major
urban area and things of this nature take a back seat to the stories of 16
yr-old raping 8 yr-olds, high school shootings, etc (all of which are
recent stories in the area).  This was simply nothing more than Disorderly
Conduct.

Second, I was informed by the police that if someone like me made such a
scene over this, there is probably some merit to the claim of poor
conditions and that they would "monitor" the situation.

Third, I knew full-well my actions would garner the worst of repercussions:
I am a lawyer.  Once before, when I was in college, I saw a woman beating a
child with a umbrella in a mall.  I had pretty much the same reaction, but
was praised by the police and DFACS rep for intervening- there was a
history of abuse in the home.  This is, in my eyes, the same situation.
Actually, it's probably worse since animal abuse is wide-spread and the
general public would be very hesitant to intervene.

Animals, but especially ferrets, are so sweet and loving when they're
treated with TLC- there is no malice or ill-intent in an animal.  That is
solely a byproduct of the human experience.

Again, thanks for your support and comments from our Animal Farm: Chili,
Starr, Julia, Nooks, Deac (the kitty), and Hershey (the doing-wonderfully
and recently saved kit).
[KM]