From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2014 12:02:19 -0400
Most of the commenting public wanted it and told the government that
during the long haul to change the regulations. Heck, even MF's
management at that time wanted it, though one of their vets spoke
against it and at least two mid-sized ferret farms objected to it.

On learning more the experts at the USDA wanted it, too. There were so
many studies of so many types presented to them. I know because I was
in the core group and helped find and collect those.

So, what went wrong? Well, it turns out that ferrets are not
specifically mentioned in a critical section of the Animal Welfare Act
so the USDA is not allowed to make an improvement in the regulations
for ferrets until Congress modifies the Animal Welfare Act in a way
which gives them the status of cats and dogs. The legal experts came
back to the USDA when the USDA was all set to improve regulations and
told them "hands off till Congress takes action and the Animal Welfare
Act specifically treats ferrets like dogs and cats". With Congress,
especially the House, having so many anti-regulation members that is
not going to be possible for some time. In legal coverage, "second
class" applies outside the human realm, too, currently. Hopefully,
there will be a brighter future ahead.