From:
Lisa Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 18:33:32 -0500
Need some advice.  The place that I use to work at had a ferret abandoned
there about 6 months ago.  He is a beautiful little boy with rear end
paralysis.  X-rays revealed a broken back.  (I am guessing that is why he
was abondened).  The vet did not know enough about ferrets to provide him
proper treatment.  Since I no longer worked there my $.02 did not matter
much.

To make a long story short another tech took him so that he would not be
euthanized.  Last week (about 6 months later) I get a call from the girl
who took him and she can no longer handle hi if she cannot find a home
she is going to euthanize him.  Her landlord found out and is going to
evict.  Well I found another home, but was not told how serious his
situation is.  He is incontinent and has urine burns on his belly, though
he does have some movement in his rear paws.

Now my friend was nice enough to take him, but is not equipped for this.
After vet consultations the conclusions are that unless he gets a cart;
that too much strain will be put on his heart and he will probably die.
Additionally his bladder will have to be expressed 3 times a day.  He
was obviously someone's pet because you don't get a 4lb+ ferret from not
being fed.

He is full of life.  He just wants to play and give kisses.

It is not fair for my friend to have to take on this responsibility,
unfortunately neither one of us knew the whole situation before getting
into it.

So any suggestions on dealing with a ferret with a broken back and
incontinence or anyone who would want to take him into their home please
let me know.  All input is appreciated.