From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 17:47:40 -0800
Just as "...the hornets nest that is ferret owning America" isn't meant as
a 'put down'?  And how can you tell from an e-mail that a writer is "...a
'strapping' marine type...", anyway.  Would the writer like to come forward
and let us know exactly how 'strapping' he or she is?  I'd like to know.
Did you say "me being a strapping marine type and all"?

Why is it necessary to speak in sarcasm anyway?  We don't refer to you as
'that dumb-sh*t brit', now do we?  And for Sheila, and Chris, and Eggie,
and EVERYONE ELSE, we think of you as 'our esteemed UK friends'.

Actually, sarcasm translates the same everywhere - "A cruelly humorous
statement or remark made with the intention of injuring the self-respect
of the person to whom it is addressed, usually by drawing attention to
one of his weaknesses...to tear flesh, speak bitterly".   And to answer
your question, yes, it has reached our shore - however we do not feel
it an appropriate means of communication.

So - lemme get this straight Tim boy, you make statements that are
blatantly intended to damage our self-respect but they are NOT to be
taken as "put-downs"?  The very fact that you then try to deny they
are, is yet another one - like maybe we aren't smart enough to catch
on perhaps?

No, we don't hunt with our ferrets, in most of the United States it is
illegal to do so.  Some of us view with a raised eyebrow the practice
of hunting with ferrets.  Others would love to try it, and have asked
for more information.  We need to be tolorant of each other.  I am a
frequent visitor to Sheila's pages (Hi, Sheila!) and view with interest
the many rabbiting photos.  At least I've stopped shuddering.  I don't
know if Sheila still shudders when I say "put clothes on ferrets, it's
fun"!

Yes, we are terrified of Hoof and Mouth, so much so that the US banned
the importation of used farm equipment as of March 31.  Yes, it is part
of every newscast.  We are keenly aware it is affecting the lives of
everyone in the UK, and other countries as well.  Yes, it will impact
our choice of vacation site.

As a person with imported ferrets I wonder if we will see a moratorium
on animals coming in from other countries.  Sheila - about those sandy
ferrets... get a move on, shake a leg, time's a wastin!

Oh, aren't these cross-cultural exchanges great?

Georgia - the left coast one...

[Moderator's note: One of the nice things about a group of diverse people
(such as the body of FML subscribers!) is the delightfully different ways
in which people choose to express themselves.  Sarcasm, humor, "spinning
yarns" and cold, hard fact all have their place.  Please, let's be a bit
more attentive to the message being conveyed instead of focusing on the
method of delivery!  If Brit humour is the chosen method, so be it.  BIG]