From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:19:40 -0500
Re: the large balls that ferrets can get into There are several types;
some don't have enough circulation and some do.  Our's like to be in them
for sleeping now and then, but what they really like is to be in one with
a bell-ball since it makes for very good play.  They also love to do this
in tilted baskets since we have not had a basket chewer for years.  (Have
a cardboard eater now, though, so all cardboard stuff is gone or stored
now.)

Lisa wrote:
>I just received the call from United Vaccine in regards to my latest round
>of ADV testing.  All ferrets at the shelter tested NEGATIVE.  All of my
>personal ferrets tested NEGATIVE.  According to Shannon at United, these
>results were very clear.  We are very pleased!

Yippee!  The United tests have a long history, and have had independent
testing of their validity, too, so this is extra wonderful news.  BTW,
the form for the United test is in the Files section of the FHL, and the
FHL addy is below my signature at the bottom of this post.

Need health info?  See the addies below my name at the bottom of this
page.

>From:    Lisa Goggins <>
>Subject: How do I tell my vet he doesnt know what he is talking about?
>
>I informed you yesterday about Otis having insulinoma...
>that he mixed Otis's pred with karo syrup and two that he told me to give
>Otis alot of Nutrical.  I have read everywhere that this is totally bad.
>What should I tell him?

That he is up on the very latest, but that you might like a glucose
challenge to see if the ferret is still insulin-responsive to sugars.
Originally, it was the fashion to supply sugars around the clock to
ferrets and we had an older one who had a treatment routine based on
something quite like what you describe who got 9 months on it even though
her cause was pancreas-based lymphoma.  In a very recent pers. com. with
Dr. Bruce Williams I learned that insulinomae are NOT sugar responsive
(NEW INFO)-- the output does not change with sugar intake -- and in fact,
the two most common meds partly work to increase blood sugar by different
and more level routes than sugar intake.  If there is enough normal
pancreatic response left then the sugar may be a bad idea since the
pancreas may then release extra insulin, but at a reading of 37 it may be
that the tumors have already suppressed and caused the atrophy of normal
insulin producing tissue so the sugar may serve a useful function.  We
have an elderly (8 years old and not a surgical candidate for other
reasons) one now who was sugar restricted for her first nine months of
insulinoma but now has sugar in addition to Prednisone (Prednisolone) and
Proglycem (Diazoxide) since it may give her extra time beyond what the
meds can do now that she is not longer in early stages of insulinoma.

>i just wanted to comment about a post by Monica, who made comment about
>European ferrets and the fact that they seem to live longer than thier
>American cousins.

Except, of course, that there is no proof that the idea that European
lines live live longer or are healthier (though the types of disease may
differ with more reports of lymphoma there -- it SEEMS from nothing more
than general impressions of folks on both sides of the Atlantic since no
one has numbers -- and more of adrenal neoplasia and insulinoma here -- it
SEEMS since numbers are rare although when folks looked for it there were
more than a few cases of adrenal neoplasia in the Netherlands).  In fact,
when ferrets were imported many people have found such claims to not pan
out, though the genetics may well differ so broadening the genetic base
with imported stock or imported sperm DOES make sense since a broader
genetic base is often healthier for a population.  Gee, unfounded rumors?
In a ferret community?  Who woulda thunk it?  LOL!  (Newbies, you'll
encounter a pile of them so be prepared...)

Sukie
for health info: