From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 00:04:11 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=1620

>I took Calvin to the veterinary yesterday, as not only did I find one
>lump, but another under a front leg, and also Thursday evening he just
>didn't act right, abdomen slightly distended.
>
>After a thorough exam the vet found swollen lymph nodes on his hind
>legs, as well as the front, although the abdomen was normal.  No swollen
>nodes that he could ascertain in the neck area.  So he gave him a shot
>of Depomedrol and had me put him on Clavamox.  Said I may notice an
>increase in thirst and urination.  We talked about other meds, and he
>told me of one that causes extreme irritation around the
>urethra/prepuce(sp?), that Depomedrol was probably the best.  Told me to
>watch him, see how he does.  The vet had given one little one a Depo
>shot and it lasted it a year before the glands swelled again, another
>lasted 4 months before another shot.

I must say that I am quite concerned about the use of Depomedrol in this
case.  Depomedrol is a strong corticosteroid that is immunosuppressive in
significant doses.  A high dose will certainly shrink the nodes, but it
simply causes destruction of lymphocytes, the cells that populate the
nodes and protect the body.

A more appropriate approach to this problem would be to aspirate the
nodes.  First, you will be able to tell if these nodes are simply
enlarged by a extra layer of fat around them.  (This is often the case
around the nodes of the legs.) If there is still a question, then a
biopsy can be done.

But the empiric use of Depomedrol to shrink nodes is not an adequate
approach in this case, in my opinion.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM