From:
Ulrike Hassold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 17:37:30 +0000
Hello everybody

I've got some questions.  I'm from Britain and have 2 ferret guests (Vicky
and Tricky) with me at the moment while their owners are in Venezuela and
Brazil for 6 months on a business trip.  I got an e-mail from them
yesterday regarding what's happening.  Vicky's and Tricky's mum is coming
back at the end of November, their dad will be back end of January but just
for a little while as their employer wants both to carry on working in Rio/
Brazil for another year, probably until April 2000.  Now they're thinking
of taking Vicky and Tricky with them to Rio which means that they'll need
to go into quarantine for 6 months when they come back.

I personally think it would be kinder for the ferrets if they stayed with
me for a year than go to a hot country and then 6 months into quarantine.
I admit I love the two.  But I just wanted to see what other people think.
Are there any subscribers from Brazil on the FML?  Is it too hot for
ferrets in Brazil?  Or would Vicky and Tricky be okay there?  What about
veterinary care?  Are there good vets around in Rio?  Vicky's and Tricky's
dad told me that there are not many pets for sale in the pet shops so I'm
wondering whether there will be any good vets around.  Also Vicky and
Tricky are not neutered so they'll need hormone injections if their parents
don't get them neutered.  And can you get hold of ferret food in Brazil?
The kids are on Totally Ferret at the moment.

So I'd like to hear from people what they would do if they owned Vicky and
Tricky.  Would you take them to Brazil for a year and then put them into
quarantine for 6 months?  Or would you leave them at home with somebody who
takes good care of your ferrets while you're away?  I don't know much about
Brazil and I don't like talking about something I don't know much about.
But I would like to try and talk Vicky's and Tricky's parents into leaving
them with me when they go to Brazil.  But only if I know that other people
think it's the right decision for the kids, not for me, not for their
parents but just for Vicky and Tricky.

Hope you can help me, any comments are welcomed.

Best wishes to you all and your kids from
Ulrike and the 10 fur kids and Vicky and Tricky

Missing Angel
NFWS area co-ordinator for West Wales
http:\\homepages.primex.co.uk\~ferret\