From:
Scott H Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 01:29:30 -0800
I went into a pet store tonight in Plano, TX and saw an aquarium that looked
to be about 20 or 25 gallons with 14 ferret kits piled into it.  The tank
was cracked in one corner on two sides and the outside had been resealed
with silicon.  Hopefully there are no cracks which can be touched on the
inside.  These 14 ferrets were on wood shavings and some were pretty much in
their own feces whic was in two corners of the cage.  There was one small
empty water bottle and one empty foodbowl.  I called the manager when I got
home and asked him why these ferrets were so crowded and had no food or
water.  His response was that they get so busy taking care of customers that
they end relying on people to let them know when the animals are out of food
and water.  The manager said that since they get so busy, that sometimes the
food and water is overlooked until someone says something to them.  After
speaking with him, I called the president of the Ferret Lover's Club of
Texas in Dallas/Ft.  Worth and spoke with her.  She said she would have some
people go check it out.  I also talked to the City of Plano Animal Services
and the officer was very nice.  She said there was an ordinance in place
about the number of animals which can be kept in a confined area depending
on size.  The officer also said she would go out tomorrow and check on all
the animals in the store and have the employee get hold of the manager or
owner for Animal Services to speak to tomorrow.  She also said she would
tell the pet store that will come out everyday if they have to.  I got a
good feeling about the situation after speaking with Animal Services and I
myself will go back and look at them again.  I am supposed to hear back from
the officer tomorrow after she goes to the store and will let everyone know
what the outcome is.  If anyone else knows of some successful tactics to
help solve this situation or has any ideas, then please let me know.  Thanks
for your help.

Scott Smith