From:
Phyllis Elledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:34:59 -0800
Bethany is a plump brown sable who crossed this past Friday with her
friend Elvis Fuzz. She had exploratory surgery a little over two weeks
ago and was diagnosed with cancer. Her prognosis wasn't good and she
let me know that she was ready to go. She has lots of family at the
Bridge including her fella Joshua, aka Wharf Rat, one of the many
Wanderin' Weasels who have already crossed. She was only 4 1/2 yo. We
rescued her from a pet store that had abused her and caused her to be a
serious biter. Her nickname was Bethany Pirahnna Barracuda Shark. Over
the years we also figured out that she didn't like changes and the only
way she could let us know was to bite. Once we found this out we tried
to make her life easier by not doing anything that we didn't have to
do to her environment. She ended up being a super sweet kisser who
liked for her daddy to give her belly rubs in the mornings. She was
accompanied by Elvis Fuzz, a large albino He had been abandoned in an
apartment with his brother and with the help of a wonderful lady found
their way to Sandi's at Heaven Scent. Sometime earlier in his life his
jaw had been broken and nothing was done about it. It gave him that
"Elvis sneer", hence the name. In the six or seven months he was with
us he had the tooth ground down to keep it from pressing on the nerves
in his face, adrenal surgery, a large mast cell tumor cauterized to
keep it from bleeding, a benign growth removed from his side, his teeth
cleaned, surgery to remove his twisted spleen and a purse string. His
fur never grew back after any of the surgeries giving him a tattered
but handsomely rugged look. I thought he looked perfect! After the
purse string he just didn't seem to be his old self. The same day that
Bethany was going to leave us I had him examined and the vet found that
he was in liver failure. So we decided to let the two friends make
their final journey together. They both passed peacefully . . . Elvis
Fuzz snuggled in Sandi's arms and Bethany snuggled in mine.

It has taken me this long to be able to write this. I don't know if
Elvis had any family or old friends there to meet him and I want to
make sure that he was with Bethany when they arrived. I'm sure that the
Wanderin Weasel bunch was there to great them and I'm sure they took
Elvis into their homes. I'm hoping that he was able to keep his jaunty
sneer when he was healed upon crossing as it drove the little ladies
wild. I know that they are both whole and healthy now and just want
to make sure that my babies are happy.