From:
Angie Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 11:47:58 EST
Hi Elizabeth,

I tried to send an e-mail to [log in to unmask], but Spam Assassins
contacted me and reprimanded/threatened me (lol), so I'll post my advice
to the main list : )

I had a biter (RIP little girl) who I was able to get under moderate
control by squeaking/crying very loudly in her ear when she would bite
too hard.  I read somewhere that this is how ferrets let each other know
when they are being too rough.  It worked quite well for me, although I
couldn't get her to stop biting other people.  My cousin is the person
who took care of her when I would go out of town, and she just got so
that she wore fleece gloves in order to play with Aspen.  I currently
have a biter who is deaf, so the squeaking doesn't work.  I have found
that if I kiss him on the nose and shake my head while I give him a
disapproving look seems to help.  It at least gets him to let go!

I hope some of this helps.  If your Squiggles is as stubborn as my Aspen
was (she took after her mom), then doing things like flicking on the
nose, etc., only provides additional initiative to bite harder.  Good
luck and don't give up hope!

To the members of the list more generally, I have been lurking for
several month now and I guess it's time to introduce myself.  My name is
angie and I am owned by 5 fuzzies here (Trent, Marilyn, Loki [the biter],
Rose, and Sophia), 2 at the bridge (Milo and Aspen), 1 regular cat
(Murphy), 1 paraplegic cat (Poe), and two blind cats (Manson and Margot).
I really appreciate the stories about ferrets who have gone to the
bridge.  It helps me deal with the loss of Milo and Aspen as well as with
the loss of all the babies I see on here.  Thank you!  I also get so much
from reading everyone's posts, and continue to learn every day.  Thanks
for being such a wonderful group of people and for letting me be a part
of this.

best,
angie