From:
Angela Huser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:10:19 -0600
Hi to all apartment dwellers!

I too, have had the problems with finding an apartment to live in with
our furry crew.  We live in Indiana, so we aren't in the predicament of
CA (phew).  We decided that we wanted to move to a different complex, and
I made a TON of phone calls prior to our lease expiration.  I called the
places we really wanted to go to first.  I just asked about the pet
policy, and then I was up front about my situation.  I would tell them
that we have 5 ferrets (9 now) and what are the policies on ferrets.  I
would then begin to explain a little bit about them, and offered for me
to bring pictures of our current apartment, their environment, etc.  I
would have to say about 95% would give me a gigantic NO, regardless of
proof.  I had one place tell me that well, the deposit for ferrets is
$1000.  I about fell off my chair!  So of course, I ask why.  The reason
was that someone had a ferret not to long ago, and when they moved, it
left a huge smell and there was so much damage to the apartment, that
it cost them thousands of dollars to fix the unit.  It also was "out of
commission" for a few months because of the smell.  They said that with
the people who are in it now, they can still smell odor even after the
carpet, padding, paint etc has been done.  So, the $1000 deposit is the
insurance deductible for the complex, and if you choose to have one, you
need to pay that up front.  So, I moved on.

The place that we are at now, I was totally up front with them.  I felt
that I had to be, as we take ours on walks through out the complex, and
have them playing out in the front yard.  Everyone around us knows that
we have them, and absolutely love them!  ( well of course, who couldn't
love them?)  It took a little investigation on finding the right place,
but it is possible.  I also got the assistant manager of the complex to
complete our paperwork for us, so that she knew.  She didn't have us
fill in the "pets" portion of the application, paperwork, etc.  For
that section, they look at dogs and cats.  She is considering them in the
same categories as rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, etc.  So, I guess that I
lucked out on that.  I guess I am also blessed that ours are so well
litter trained, that we rarely ever have accidents on the floor.  I also
clean their cage about 4 times a week, scoop the boxes 3-4 times a day,
and wash the litter boxes 1-2 times a week.  I am a cleanliness fanatic!
My place is spotless, which of course my husband picks on me for.  But, I
have had maintenance people come in, and say, "I heard that you guys have
ferrets, I don't smell anything." Now, they like to come over to see
them!  It is nice to prove that they are perfect little angels, and that
they aren't what everybody thinks they are.

I wish that everyone could experience the pleasure we have had (so far)
of living where we do.  All the advise I can give is DO RESEARCH!  Make
a list of places that appeal to you, and just call inquiring about the
pet policy.  I would obtain who I talked to etc., if they said that
ferrets were fine, and have management sign off that they are ok, so that
no one can come back and say that you have to leave because of them.  The
leasing consultants don't know as much as management, I found out.  Just
do this all about a month or so prior to your renewal.  We were going to
stay where we were, as we weren't having any problems, but we wanted a
change and a bigger place, with lots of bedrooms for the hairykids!  In
fact, at our last place, we would take them for walks to go pay the rent,
and we would take them into the leasing office!  Everyone loved them!
So, places are out there, but you just have to sit down and make phone
calls!  Good luck to all!

Love to all mommies, daddies and the furkids!

-Angela, Leo and the weezil feezil beezils (Rugsey, Ralphie, Daisy,
Dagwood, Bear, Bingo, Peekers, Pepper, and the newbie-Alexander)