From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 12:16:38 -0500
Dear Wendy:
>So here's the big question.  Last year when I took my babies in for their
>annuals, both Pica and Buttercup had moderate and severe reactions to the
>vaccine.  I've decided I probably want to vaccinate again this year despite
>my concerns.  I'm going to call my vet tomorrow and find out which vaccine
>he used on them.  The question is: if I can arrange it, should I get them
>the vaccine that they didn't have last year?  If they had the reaction to
>Fervac, should I try to get them Galaxy, or if they had the reaction to
>Galaxy, should they get Fervac?  Does it really make a difference?

Anecdotally yes.  Galaxy appears to have an overall decreased reaction rate
when compared to Fervac.

If your ferret has reacted to one in the past, it does not mean that he
will react to the other, nor does it mean that he will not.  The chances
are certainly less than repeating the same vaccine.

You are right - the correct way to proceed is premedicate with benedryl IM,
wait, vaccinate, wait a minimum of thirty minutes, and then go home.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM