From:
Ingrid Heckt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2008 18:53:27 -0700
When I first read this post, my thought was to reply with something
that on later thought was mean, nasty, and snarky. I really don't think
that the list needs another flame war, so I will refrain from venting
my original thoughts.

I belive that most of us who have been owned by ferrets for any legth
of time have had a tradgedy or two or more that we could relate if
we were brave enough to share. Some of these have been from bitter
experience, (I will never start the dishwasher before checking thrice
that there are no ferrets in there), and some have been from simple
mischance. These weasels that we love are more creative and smarter
than we are, when it comes to mischief.

I aplaud Alex and Dann's willingness to open their hearts to another
ferret. They have shown themselves to be good ferret parents over the
MANY years that they have been sharing their stories with us, and like
many of us, have had some tradgedies to endure. The fact that two of
their beloved weasels have been lost to dogs does not diminish their
status as good ferret parents, the situations (as well as the dogs
involved) were completely different. Hind sight is amazing. Does anyone
really think that they would have inentionally left ANY beloved pet
in an empty house with an upset dog? Does anyone who has read their
stories really think that they would have left an upset dog with the
ferrets INTENTIONALLY? Is any one of us (list readers) so perfect that
we really think we can't have a tragic accident in our own house? I've
had at least one, and beaten myself up over it for a good long time. If
you haven't had one, you have been blessed, at least up to this point.

Alex, I hope Todd helps to heal the wounds that were left in your
heart, Dann's and Puma's when you said goodbye to Ping. I hope that
Todd lives a long healthy life, is a good companion to Puma, and that
you share your stories of them, as you have with your other beloved
ferrets, dogs, and hedgehogs. I know that you will do all you can
to ensure that Todd, Puma, Alis and any other being living in your
household is happy, healthy and well cared for. Please share with us,
so that we may rejoice in the lives of your ferrets, as well as our
own.

Ingrid