From:
Beth Roerig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 1996 02:08:37 -0400
HELP!  This is my first experience with a sick ferret and I don't know what
to do.  I own (or they own me) 5 ferrets and one of them is sick.  He is a 2
year old sable named chocolate that I have had for about 8 months now.  He
has never had any health problems until now.  This morning he was sleeping
(and pooping) normal (or close to it) and this afternoon I noticed that he
seemed a little more tired but I still didn't worry (I just kept a closer
eye on him).  But this evening I just didn't feel that he was perking up and
something had to be wrong.  Well....I was right.  I haven't seen him eat or
drink since yesterday and he passed up a chance for some Nutri-Cal.  I first
feed him some water through a syring (sp?) and he took that okay but when I
put him in a cage by himself he threw-up some brown stuff (it looked liked
digested food).  I don't know yet if he is pooping now but I will keep him
by himself and watch.  I tried to take his temp but that wasn't very easy
and I didn't get anywhere (ferrets sure can be squirmy (sp?) when they don't
like something).  I tried calling a few all night animal hospitals but they
wanted the money before he left (and I knew that the bill could be high and
I don't have a lot of money until next week...and that would be too late)
and were not willing to give information through the telephone It is now
Saturday night (11:00 pm) and I am not sure if my regular vet will be
available tomorrow.  Is there anything that I can do until I can get him to
a vet?  If a fuzzbut has a blockage do they run a fever?  Could it be the
flu (nobody in my house has had any bugs)?  I just got a couple new ferrets
a week ago but they seem to be healthy...Could they have given him
something?  Can somebody give me a recipe for duck soup that is fairly
simple (due to the fact that I cannot get some of the ingredients during the
Memorial weekend)?  What are some of the other symptoms of a blockage (or
ECE)?

Somebody please help----please e-mail some information to me directly so I
don't have to wait until the next FML to find out!  I am going to go
download the FAQ right now but I know some of my question will not be in
there.

By the way BIG and eveyone that posts to the FML....this FML is wonderful...
everybody keep up the good work.  I have learned so much!

Beth and the 5 fuzzbutts
Chocolate (I don't feel so good)
Taz (Just love me)
Sable (FOL...send me some Pepsi)
Ben (Were are those toes?)
Cisco (I love my daddy but I don't like his mustache!)

[Moderator's note: Beth's note just missed yesterday's FML by a few minutes.
I sent her a note Sunday morning saying it suggests a blockage - I hope
Chocolate is doing better!  BIG]