Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 1994 11:48:37 PST
Sorry I have to be "anon"...

     Since I have some experience in evolutionary biology, I will
throw in my $.02 about why it is GOOD that Hawaii outlaws ferrets
(and by the way it is GOOD).  The hawaiian islands, like most
chains distant from the mainland, have a separate evolutionary
history from the mainland.  Due to their distance from continents,
they tend to have creatures unique to them.  For example, Hawaii
has hundreds of unique bird species.  Because they are far from
the mainland, they are fragile to Introduced species.

     When we "Continentals" bring organisms to islands, they
can have a terrible effect on the fragile native populations.  For
example, snakes have killed many bird species on Hawaii and
introduced pigs have destroyed forest areas of Hawaii.  If you
ever fly into Hawaii, you will be asked to sign a paper stating
you are not bringing anything alive except yourself (and the
life forms in and on you :-) ).

     I own a Ferret in a FFZ, so I understand your feelings about
legalizing them.  But Hawaii is different, and the government there
SHOULD NOT ALLOW FERRETS.  This is for the protection of the fragile
ecosystem that is Hawaii.  If you have any environmentalist feelings,
I hope you will agree and understand this.

D.E.  Brea, CA