From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:01:29 -0400
>1) Galaxy D was tested on FERRETS to prove it's effectivness for
>protecting our canine counterparts against CDV which "IS" the
>distemper virus ferret can contract.

Fromme D which was a predecessor drug to Galaxy D was tested on ferrets
for this purpose, but the only testing of Galaxy D on ferrets was for
21 days on I think 8 male kits. That isn't to say that it doesn't work,
because even things like titer results (including on our ferrets)
indicate that it produces what are probably good titer numbers. It's
just important to remember that while Galaxy D was developed from
Fromme D they are NOT the same vaccine.

I never heard the things Anonymous mentioned in the third point but
that doesn't really add up and I wonder if it may be one of those
situations where a story has changed through many tellings (like the
rabies vaccine mention yesterday).

>People need to remember that ferrets contract "CANINE" Distemper and
>since Galaxy D protects our Canines against CDV then it will certainly
>protect our ferrets against CDV.

Not necessarily. When ferrets were having accepted dog rabies vaccines
tested on them for effectiveness they weren't happy enough with some
vaccines to include them in the larger testing (which had a handful of
vaccines). Of those they tested the LENGTH OF TIME OF PROTECTION turned
out to be able to vary from in dogs. One of the ones tested only
protected ferrets for 6 months. After 6 months they contracted rabies
when exposed. Sorry, but that was long enough ago that I don't recall
which vaccines were involved. Another one had such bad side effects
that they stopped even testing that one and a vet I know adopted the
handicapped survivors herself and had them as her own family ferrets to
that they could always have the special attention needed. One of those
actually lived to something like 10 years despite it all. IMRAB 3
provided protection for a full year on challenges at a percentage that
is considered acceptable for rabies vaccines with minimal rates of side
effects in testing. (See other post for info on what might be a recent
consideration.)

Many thanks to Vicky for the info she shared:
>Second, Merial bought Schering Plough the makers of Galaxy D and I've
>heard Galaxy D is being phased out. Looks like we won't have Galaxy D
>available in the near future. Third, I've had ferrets react to Galaxy
>D shots. I've also known of other folks who've had reactions with
>Galaxy D shots. The ferrets who have reacted all had been vaccinated
>with Purevax or Fervac sometime in their history.

That is too bad that it could be phased out, especially since Purevax
is often not easy to find.

We also have had ferrets who reacted to Galaxy D under those same
conditions you mention. Most of the large farms did their initial
vaccine with Fervac D until United stopped production of that
medication.

I won't be available for many questions, possibly any. Sorry. We have
an extremely ill human core family member with two emergencies in 5
days.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/