Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2011 12:00:26 -0500
Once in a blue moon I've been contacted by distraught ferret lovers
regarding the need of a ferret wheelchair. I used to have a connection
to the couple who "invented" Tazzy's Wheels which were created for
their ferret Tazzy whos back legs were paralyzed. But I no longer do.
I know there has to be at least one set of these floating around the
community. as several were built and donated by the couple. The
beautiful thing about Tazzy's Wheels was the intent upon which they
were created. They were never to be sold. The husband built them on
request and sent them out to those who needed them with the strict
request that they were never to be kept. When they were no longer
needed by someone, they were to be sent on to other needy ferrets, or
sent back to them so they could send them out to other needy ferrets.
Many times, ferrets that need these are in their last days. Their
owners just want to give them that freedom and quality of life before
they leave this earth. So they are not used very long. Hence why its
nice to keep share them with others who also need them. This particular
apparatus was a simple rectangular shaped "dolly" sort of thing with a
little whole for waste elimination. There were cozy straps to secure
the ferret on it. It was reported that Tazzy loved his so much that he
was rarely strapped in because he would actually drag himself on and
off his wheels when he chose. The contraption was low to the ground,
very light, comfortable, and didn't put stress on the front portion of
the ferret.

I think the reason people have always come to me as a reference to
obtain these aids for impaired ferrets is because of two reasons. My
very first Ferrets Magazine column involved an interview with Tazzy's
parents about their wonder ferret and his fancy shmancy wheels that
changed his life so much. I've also since been mentioned in the
Ferrets For Dummies book because my web site offers a simple page
about disabled ferrets and their needs. I've not updated the following
information on that page or have verified it as of late, but in case
it is still relevant: On
http://www.wolfysluv.com/physically_impaired.html
I have a photo of a "real" ferret wheelchair called the Ferret Flyer
that people can order from the Lakeland Ferret Farm Rescue in NY which
is run by Brenda and some other wonderful folks. She is an active
poster/member here on the fml. I believer her email addie is:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[Moderator's note: An incorrect address was posted, but I don't post
without permission anyhow, so the address was removed. BIG]

If anyone has contact with someone who owns a Tazzy's Wheels, or who
has for rent or purchase another reliable type of ferret wheelchair,
please let me know. I'd like to update my page with that information
and have it on hand for future desperate fur-parents.

Thank you,
Wolfy