From:
Ray Sexton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 07:56:52 -0400
We are new FMLers.  We enjoyed all articles we have read so far.  It is most
informative and alot of fun to read.  We are the proud parents of 13
ferrets.  We started out with one and just kept adding to our family.  We
are responsible ferret parents, all our desented and neutered.  We did have
14, but lost our Grace the day before Easter.  After 5 months, 'Grace
developed signs of heat, she had the required tattos.  My vet believed that
there may have been ovarian tissue remnants that caused her to display these
symtpons.  We tried depovera shots to possibly shrink the tissue.  After 3
sessions, it appeared to have arrested these symptons accompanied by a
slight weight gain.  After 8 months though, the symptons came back.  Grace
appeared very uncomfortable.  We tried the depovera shots again, but the
only thing that this accomplished this time was increasing her weight to
over 3 lbs.  We decided to try exploratory surgery to correct her problem.
Unfortunately, Grace did not survive the surgery.  Poor Grace was only 1 1/2
years old.  We tried so hard to help her.  She was one of my favorite
ferrets and I miss her terribly.  You must think I'm nuts because of all the
other ferret children we have, but she had a special place in my heart as
all the other children do too in each of their own ways.

Right now, we have another sick child ferret, we're not sure what's going
on.  She's at the hospital because she stopped eating and drinking.  She's
receiveing sub Q's to help with the dehydration, she's drinking on her own,
but still not eating.  When my vet tried to give her antibiotic orally she
vomited this up.  We did an x-ray, Thank God there was no blockage{another
experience with another ferret child I do not want to relive}.  We're
awaiting results from some blood work taken yesterday.

Amongst our ferret menangerie, we have 2 panda ferrets {these are the most
aggressive ones}, 3 dark sable ferrets, l albino, and the rest are the
lighter sables.

All of the ferret children definintely have their own personalities and make
us laugh.

I agree with that other person who wrote in about ferret insurance,
especially with all the medical expenses I've been through lately.  Anyway,
just wanted to share a few experience with you and all your readers.

Thanks for being there for all us ferret parents!