From:
JMYSHARONA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 18:45:55 EDT
"How will I know when it's time?"
This was always my biggest concern as my ferrets started to age.  It's also
a question that really doesn't have a proper answer.

When Gypsy passed at the age of 10, three years ago, it was thankfully
quick.  She had no medical problems, aside from being completely blind,
which for her, wasn't any trouble at all.  She just laid down at my feet,
when I picked her up she didn't respond.  She didn't show any signs of
distress, and then she was gone.  Naturally I was devastated, but also
thankful that she died at home with me and wasn't in any pain.

Coco-puff passed at the age of 9 this past Nov., and this was very
difficult.  She had cancer.  She held on pretty good, as these little ones
will.  When she started down-hill, she went fast.  The last four days were
the hardest.  I knew what had to be done.  I just kept saying, "one more
day" every day.  I came home from work and set up for another round of force
feeding.  This was supposed to be the last day and I found myself saying, in
my head, "one more day".  Coco then made the supreme effort to lift her head
and look at me and it was as if she were telling me "It's ok Mom, I'm
ready".  It was then that I realised I was being selfish.  I was doing it
for me, not for her.  I had to let her go and I did.

For those who find themselves asking this question, all I can say is, you'll
know when it's time because they'll "tell" you.

For those of you who are very literal minded, I'm not implying telepathy.
I also know there will be thoughts of that "Amorpha-thing", and so be it.
I firmly believe that if you have a bond with a person or animal, some
things are outside of what's considered "normal" communication.

SP