From:
Barbara Wiborg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 22:07:27 -0600
First, Lucy's dislocated toe is completely healed now.  She can even bend
it, which neither I, nor the vet expected she would be able to do again.

I found a new cool treat for the fuzzies.  It is a Pounce product called
"Hairball Treat-ment" and is a soft pillow-shaped treat with hairball goo
in the middle.  My ferrets love them (and so does the cat)!

Matty (the new orange fluffcat) loves to play with the ferrets,
Unfortunately, they don't want to play back.  They aren't afraid of her,
they just don't know what to make of her yet.  She has decided that it is
her duty to go to all the litter boxes and cover up their "duties" .
Unfortunately, she ends up flinging litter everywhere, so it is my duty to
follow right behind her with the mini vac to clean up after her duty!

A bath-time idea: I took an old quilt and folded it in half, sewed up all
three sides except for the corners (left a 6" opening at each corner), and
when I give the ferrets a bath, I take this out for them to crawl into and
run around in, chasing each other until they are dry.  They love it!

I have a question about something I have never seen discussed on this list.
How do you all dispose of your ferrets litter box "deposits" when you clean
them each day?  I scoop up their "stuff" and put it into a small covered
garbage can (lined with a bag of course).  But when I open it the next time
to put more in, the smell is overwhelming and sure doesn't help my asthma
any!  I have tried to empty it in the big trash can in the kitchen but it
smells that up bad too.  I can't go out to the garbage can outside twice a
day.  Someone must have a better solution...

As for jealous spouses that make threats like "me or them".  That is so
childish!  That person needs to get more involved in what the other one is
doing (i.e. loving ferrets) and try to SHARE the interest instead of making
them choose.  That is so selfish!  Like they say, "If you can't fight 'em,
join 'em!"

To Christine: perhaps you two can compromise - if he spends more time
with you and the ferrets, you will spend more time wth him and one of his
interests.

I had a ferret-sighting tonight.  It was on the show "Animals Are People
2".  They showed two ferrets (a sable and an albino) in an animal E.R.
with respiratory problems.

Dreams: When I just had Lucy, I had a dream that I had two ferrets and I
was carrying them around at some social gathering.  Six months later, I
attended the Ferret Expo with Lucy & Greta and it was EXACTLY like in my
dream.  Cool, huh?

I am in training to be a wildlife rehab assistant.  I am so excited!  This
is something I've always wanted to do.

Last, but not least, congratulations to Modern Ferret Magazine for their
award.  You guys deserve it!

Barb and the ever-lovin' fuzzies;
Lucy  (why does this fat furball keep trying to bite my tail?) &
Greta  (I'll have another treat before I  take a nap...that fat furball
        keeps chasing me and I get so tired!)

"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the old,
sympathetic with the struggling, and tolerant of the weak and
wrong...because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"