Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 07:38:38 -0600
>probably give me he!!  about saying that MN is a kill and test state (but
>technically it still is).

Correction: Technically Minnesota has no official policy regarding any pets
at a state level.  The policy of the state dept. of health is to refer bite
cases to local municipalites.  This is in response to an administrative
rules change petitioned by ferret owners in the state.  The former rule
(4605.7600 sub 3) listed ferrets among a long list of animals which were to
be considered rabies suspect.  The rule stated that these animals should be
killed and tested after a bite incident if the animals were found running
stray.  If the owner of the animal comes forward to claim ownership the rule
says that the animal is to be examined by a vet to determine if there is any
rabies risk.  The state epidemiolgist, Craig Hedberg, used to routinely
ignore the second half of the rule and pass off his personal recommendation
to kill and test as state policy.  As a result several municipalities got
into trouble for following the "official state policy" instead of their own
city ordinances.  In response to the petition which calls for the state to
define guidelines for vets to use to determine rabies risk the DOH ammended
the rule to remove themselves from the entire process.  C'mon Dawn, you read
all the documents about this.

I want to thank Eden Rain for sharing my feelings on keeping the season
non-denominational.  I, for one, am one of those who not only find the xmas
barrage annoying but actually offensive.  Particularly the heavy religous
messages like the one by Kim Burkard.  I understand that to the very
religious their beliefs are important parts of their lives.  This is true
for us non=christians too.  How would those who hold their christianity dear
feel if, for two months every year, they were bombarded on a daily basis
with the pagan winter solstice messages (no offense meant to the pagans,
just wanted to pick something as opposite as possible to their beliefs and
this came to mind) and treated like there was something wrong with you if
you didn't want to participate.  I know that for the most part these folks
aren't doing this intentionally.  They just get so wrapped up in their
holiday that they don't think of others feelings.  But remember, the FML is
a very diverse community and one of the conerstones of any such community is
consideration for others.  Please feel free to share your beliefs with those
who share them.  But don't throw them in the faces of those who don't.  This
whole rant was just to make me feel better and I really don't expect
anything to change as a result so I will just do as I have in years past and
just delete the next two FMLs without reading them to avoid the barrage (and
hope that if there is anything important that someone will let me know
privately).

See ya in a couple of days.