From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 1998 23:56:45 -0400
It is with a certain humility that on behalf of the shelter kids write a
note of thanks to those of you who support the SOS fund.  We have just been
notified that a payment has been forwarded on our shelter vet bill.

This week we had another emergency type surgery -- our vet took him in and
fixed him up, EVEN THOUGH we still had a balance due.  That's nice.
Actually it was more than nice as this ferret, "Brodie" was suffering from
insulinoma and adrenal disease and probably shouldn't have waited long for
his surgery.  He arrived at the shelter in the winter Dec 97-- at age 5
years, his owner died of terminal cancer 6 days later.

(Brodie is one of 33 hospice ferrets which Ferret Wise maintains and / or
supervises.  All are unadoptable by state and reasonable standards.  They
require supervised medical care.  We feel this is preferable to
euthanization for all in our foster / hospice program.)

Brodie was depressed, lethargic and sad.... we thought due to the departure
of his owner however, it was due to the illnesses he bore, but hard to
differentiate because he had been on junk food and came in malnourished.

After 5 weeks of supplements, force feedings etc.  Brodie was able to travel
to his hospice home, where there are 3 other 5 year old ferrets and a mom
and dad to hug him.  As he started to settle in and even show affection the
insulinoma symptoms began... shelter Mom made several trips over to
ascertain his condition and a visit to the vet for blood work -- Brodie had
his surgery last week.  For the first time in 6 months "Brodie" did a war
dance, and now trots up and down the hall of his new home -- showing off to
the other ferrets.  He got a second chance.

These second chances are especially necessary for the ferrets who have a
rough start or a trauma- especially in old age.  This is why we try our best
to help those who have the room and love for our "terminal" or old age kids.
Because of the dedication of those who support SOS -- more Brodie's will
have a second chance to be a ferret, vibrant and warm.  Not just at our
shelter, but at numbers of shelters.

Thank you to Dr. George -- and thank you readers and supporters, with ll
your help we have helped just one more boy enjoy his old age.  Thank you
Judith, Ela and Georgia-- for being there with your dedication to help the
shelters.

From a shelterer--
alicia
at Ferret Wise

PS- If anyone is attendiing the MaFF Spring Frolic-- we will have our newest
special needs kid "Stripe" come and meet him, perhaps you can find a space
for him in your home!  "Stripe" will be 1 year old in June-- he is a blaze
Waardensburg syndrome ferret.