From:
Ellen McEnhill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 11:10:10 -0600
Hi!
Recently somebody posted asking about ermines (sorry I didn't get a chance
to look up who it was).  I grabbed one of my books at home last night and
this is what it had to say (paraphrased).

    Ermine  (Mustela erminea)
             Length: head and body 5-9 in.  tail 2-4 in.
             Habitat: forests, brushy areas; usually near water

    Small carnivorour member of the mustilid family.  It is also sometimes
called the Short-tailed Weasel.  They are nocternal and pursue rodents
through small burrows and can also climb trees to catch squirrels and
chipmunks.  Thier summer coat is a dark brown with a white underbody and a
black tip on their tail.  Their winter coat is all white except for the
black tip of thier tail.  In North America they are found as far south as
the mid US, except in the Rocky Mountains and south of the Great Lakes.

I hope this helps.

Ellen
Taz (Look Ma!  TJ is teaching me to pounce)
TJ (Yeah and Taz is teaching me to climb)

Ellen McEnhill