From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2010 16:18:42 -0400
I do not know what new data was learned since then but he had a great
post on one or more of the preservatives showing that in studies (which
use extreme amounts) the types of malignancies that were found in
increased numbers were types common to some rodents and humans but
often ***not*** common for members of Carnivora. Also, I remember his
writing that with at least one of those preservatives at least one
type of malignancy was at a lower rate in the animals who got the
preservative than in the animals not fed the preservatives, and that
(those?) type (s) is/are more often found in ferrets than in rodents or
humans. If I recall right he also said that he figured that the changes
in rates both up and down are often misleading and inaccurate. His
point that I remember was that many non-expert references are by people
who use pseudoscience, do not understand the studies, or do not realize
that results often can not be generalized among widely divergent types
of animals.

And I hope that I stated my request clearly enough because I had about
2 hours of sleep. 8 months after we found out that Mornie's carcinoma
could cause her Cava to give out it finally did so we lost her this
morning.

Oh, and this is good website:
http://www.petdiets.com/
If my memory serves the primary person in it is a woman who has BOTH a
veterinary medicine doctorate and a veterinary nutrition doctorate
focusing on members of Carnivora.

Anyway, does anyone have that post. I could not spot it in the archives
so fear it may precede the archives.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/