From:
Nell Angelo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 06:03:14 -1200
Hello dear FMLers --

I finally did go to the big outdoor market in Bangkok, Chatuchak, and
while there I looked to see if there were any ferrets there. There were
animals of all sorts quite an amazing variety -- from kittens to a type
of forest pig (the name wont come to me at the moment). Almost all
looked healthy and reasonably happy, except for some heavily furred
puppies that were too hot, and just lying around.

The other exception was some sad sights of complete infants -- mostly
squirrels of some sort.

Only one animal among all I saw except for the infants was in bad shape
and in an abusive situation, and it was the only ferret I saw. It was
an adult male overcome with the heat. Sigh....

Happily ferrets are rare there -- and I take it rare in Thailand in
general. After all it is a tropical country and utterly unsuited to
them. The one I saw had a sign saying it was sold, and the store owner
said it had been sold for seven-hundred some dollars.

I told the owner that he was going to lose the ferret to the heat, but
he would have none of that.

What an unhappy and ironic thing that the ferret was the only animal,
among many many many animals I saw, was who was being abused.

Also all the people (of both sexes and of all ages) I saw with animals
that they had purchased were holding them tenderly as they walked
around.

Well, let's go OT: my facelift. My friend Craig says I look fabulous --
not that I don't look my age -- but now I look now like a "sporty"
old lady!