From:
"Morris, Paula" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:14:00 -0600
Amy (McNamara) -

While we were remodelling, our ferrets got free roam of their room.  They
couldn't roam the house, even with supervision......and I had been
considering it anyway.

Of course, their room has always been totally ferret proofed.  First of
all, I got a piece of plexiglas 24" tall....it wasn't tall enough.  After
they'd had a chance to get used to their new freedom (and interested in
expanding their horizons), I sat in the hall and watched both of them
bounce up and down on those short little legs, waving their arms, (too
funny) until they managed to hook their claws over the top and scrabble
their way out.  It took a lot of effort and several tries, but they did
it......Mary Rogers later told me that she finds 26" will do the trick.

Next, they started forgetting their potty training......previously they
had been close to 100%......and I had 4 litter boxes in a 10'x11' room!

And, they stopped sleeping together a good part of the time.  I'd call them
to play and they'd straggle out yawning from separate parts of the room.

My last concern was that they seemed bored......no more war dances.....
none!  Fannie has always had a firm grasp of "flat ferret", but it took
freedom for Fidget to catch on.

The remodel is about over and I still haven't gotten a taller piece of
plexiglas, so they are back to the cage with a full-house playtime morning
and evening.  They actually seem to like it better.

That's been our experience!

Best wishes,
Paula and.....Fannie&Fidget