From:
Public Relations <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:44:39 -0400
For some of you who have been on the list-- you can recall the reports
of the SPCA seizure last Aug/Sept of the shelter in Egg Harbor City, NJ.
It was there that MANY animals including 39 ferrets were seized out of
conditions that were neglectful, abusive and torturous.  5 Ferrets were
dead at time of seizure, several other passed away post operatively as I
recall.  Kim form Kista was the initial contact on these ferrets-- they
were transferred to her care.

Ferret Wise offered assistance with 13 of these ferrets -- after referring
several folks directly to her for adoptions.  Of the 13 we lost only one
Pasteur A fighter, but had been dealt too many days without water, too many
days without food, thus we rallied him and finally lost.  (Sweet Dreams
little mitt boy!)

There was a pair of girls in the group who were intriguing.  Dark sables
little bitsy gals who were reportedly spayed-- one bit and seemed
ultimately unhappy.  It was this pair that was requested by Kelly half
way house and hospice mom with Ferret Services of Freedom.  Both Steph and
Kelly came down to meet the girls.  I was suspicious due tto the nature and
behavior of one referred to as Giovanni ( now Tara) that there was a cause
for her nippy demeanor-- we would finds out shortly).  After travelling
to northern NH with Kelly who felel in love with the girls adn their
challenge-- we got more and more reports that Tara would be off her diet,
only tiny bits of stool passing - once the two were isolated.  She also
was chewing on everything in site-- suspecting a blockage Tara went to
the vets and were were all shocked to find what the problem was.  Tara's
organs - spleen, liver, guts were all impacted into her chest cavity.
She in her very young life had been kicked this hard like a football -
most likely before she arrived at the NJ shelter.  Corrective surgery was
done immediately -- with the understanding this had been a long term
condition -- and it might not stay corrected as tissues had deteriorated.
Tara's life became a happy bite-less frolicking life since the surgery.
Then Kelly reported Haley's ( Tara's cage mate) vulva swollen this spring -
Immediately I knew she was not spayed -- a youngster she had matured- she
was spayed and is doing well!

Now the sadder note, Tara stated getting nippy again last week -- after
several days of chewing on bedding & nipping she went back to the vet--
this is Kelly's sad report:

"I cried all the way home and through the night.  I love her so much!!!
It's going to be very hard when it comes.  She was doing so well and 2days
ago she started acting funny and then she started to bite again.  She
hasn't fallen off any thing.  Scot ( the vet) said that it won't hold
( surgery).  He said that her liver is in her chest and he couldn't get it
out, there is so much scar tissue that he was afraid that he would tear her
liver and she would die.  So he spayed her and stitched her up.  He said
he doesn't know how long she has .  It could be a week a month or a year .
But her life will be short he said .He told me to let her do what she wants
after the stitches come out, let her be happy.  So that's what I'm going to
do.  "

I know that this unexpected surgery on Tara has a remaining Balance of
$126.28.  I will be shipping some food & supplies off in the AM to help
Kelly out.  If there is anyone who is having a good month and would like to
help clear Tara's account I am sure that it would be appreciated.  Please
make checks payable to : Fryeburg Animal Hospital (notation Tara's acct c/o
Kelly Wilson) and mail to:

Fryeburg Veterinary Hosp, PA
5 Pine Street
Fryeburg, ME   04037

I am sure your thoughts and well wishes will be appreciated as well.  If
you would like to contact Kelly directly please email her at:
I am sure she will be happy to keep everyone informed on Tara's progress.
Kelly has a big heart and has a number of special needs ferrets..  a jewel
like her is what Tara needed -- even if it wasn't for as long as we all had
hoped.

My hope and prayer is that there never is another incident like at the NJ
Loving Friends shelter -- it is obvious from the conditions of the ferrets
recovered it was no more than a dumping grounds for a backyard or hobby
breeder who would NOT take responsibility for the ferrets they brought into
this world.  Most were found in cages with NO FOOD and NO WATER .  Dead
ferret were caged with living cage mates.  May it NEVER happen again.....

I will be helping Kelly with a written tribute to Tara ( and the other NJ
rescues who have since lost their fight) in the near future...

Alicia
at Ferret Wise shelter