Date:
Wed, 16 May 2007 00:49:18 -0400
Here's just a little ditty about an unexpected "danger". One of our
ferrets is not necessarily huge but his structure is massive. Hs head
is big and he has big bone structure yet his length etc. is fairly
normal for a male. Anyway he has one of the large heavy cardboard
ferret tubes in his cage. I was out teaching obedience classes when I
got this phone call saying he went thru the tube and got stuck! And
guess what - he did. His head and front legs were out one end and his
butt and hind legs out the back. It looked like a cardboard girdle.
They tried getting him out but he became agitated. He could walk around
but looked rather silly. I couldn't get him out forward but was able to
extract him backwards with no adverse effects. Never considered his
tube a potential problem but I guess where a ferret's concerned
anything goes.

Another danger to be careful about as summer comes. Had a "person" call
that had a box fan with a few bars broken out of the grill and guess
what. Apparently the ferret stuck it's head in and according to the
owner half of his face was gone. They didn't want to spend any money
on the poor thing so I have no idea what happened to it. They didn't
answer any follow up calls. I pray the poot thing didn't have to suffer
for their stupidity. Be careful of fans. Not all grills are ferret safe
even if not broken.