From:
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 09:27:15 -0400
Hey Folks,

Dooks to you all.

On the 50 ferret with FAIR - I run my shelter out of my home, I have had
the population up to 65 at one time.  Why?  Because there is no where else
for them to be dumped.

I can identify with Mary's situation, in the past four weeks I have had 19
ferrets dumped here.  All because of different reasons, some are
believable, some just plain bull.  (Thank God for Laurie Long, The Raisin
Retreat, she has been able to help place the adaptable, and nurse two sick
babies)

In the past three weeks of those ferrets, 6 have had adrenal surgery.  Why?
Because their former owners didn't give two cents for the animal.

I will not turn a sick animal away, and I have rescued some strange animals
over the years.  I try to find a local rescue group who will care for the
animal, but if I can't, I will keep it, learn about it and find it a home.

Sheltering is a very draining thing to do.  It is rewarding, but it is both
financially draining and emotionally draining.

Mary, you go girl.

Now on the PETCO front, it is better to have your enemy at your side.  The
local Pet Supplies Plus (national chain) & a couple of local stores used to
keep their ferrets in cedar, aquariums, the worst of conditions, but I'd
stop in, drop off information, do ferret ed days, take what ever they were
willing to donate, eventually they learned.

It is all in marketing.  I showed them how they could increase the sales
of ferret related products, by setting the ferrets up in what would be an
acceptable cage, hammock, water bowl, litter pan, ect.  And that if they
handle the ferrets, they can teach them not to bite.

One Pet Supplies Plus store is great with the ferrets, one still needs
improvement, but it is 100% better than before, the locals are improving.

If we can start getting some of the education in at corporate levels, and
show them that they can do better if the ferrets do better, then they may
make a corporate change, if not, then work on each local store.

I don't like the fact they sell babies too young, but as long as MF sends
them out that young, they will be there.

It is like this, we may not be able to stop them selling them, but maybe
we can make the lives of the ferrets they sell better by education.  I am
willing to try.

I have already contacted PETCO, and told them if they decide to open a
store in the Cleveland area, I would be willing to help the store set up
a ferret area, give them information to give to purchasers, put on ferret
education days, educate their staff and management.

Some people will disagree with me on this, and that is their right.  But
fighting corporations you sometimes have to try to be sneaky, let them
think you are helping them, when you are trying to manipulate them.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  But you have to try.

Dooks to all.

Jean,
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter
Founder ISWS