Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 17:53:30 EST
Hello Everyone,

It looks as if Senator John Vasconcellos, D-Santa Clara, will do what he can
to help our bill have a hearing in the Senate Appropriations Committee, but
our bill probably will not be heard until sometime closer to summer.

Senator Vasconcellos originally was opposed to ferret legalization.  At our
last hearing in July, he appeared neutral.  Then a good friend of Senator
Vasconcellos, who is a veterinarian apparently called the Senator and told
him that there is nothing wrong with ferrets. and, after a meeting with
proponents and opponents, Senator Vasconcellos has asked for two amendments.
One would be a leash law that requires ferrets off the owners property (say,
in a park) to be on a leash.  This is a good idea since it would be very
irresponsible to put a ferret down where other animals, or unknown dangers
exist for this pet whether on or off your own property.

The other amendment makes less sense, but I don't know what our options are
without it.  His help is predicated on both changes.  It would stipulate
that ferrets would not be allowed in homes with children under 3 years of
age.  As a representative of the Health Department said, it would
essentially be unenforceable.

These amendements mean that our bill has a chance to move past this
committee and on to the Senate Floor.  I hope Californians will write to
Senator Vasconcellos to support him in his efforts to move the bill.  He
is up against a chairman that doesn't like our bill and can kill it.  If
you want to write to Senator Vasconcellos to say thank you I encourage you
to do so.

In spite of these, and all of the other amendments, both Health and DFG
remain opposed.  A DFG representative said they still oppose the current
bill because it is unenforceable, to which Senator Vasconcellos replied, so
is the current law!

By taking on DFG and DHS and pledging to help our bill, Senator Vasconcellos
will be taking his time and resources to see that the bill moves ahead.  I
hope you will write a thank-you note to Senator Vasconcellos.  Taking on a
chairman of a committee is a challenge and there are always political costs
involved.

His address is:

Senator John Vasconcellos
State Capitol, Room 4061
Sacramento, CA  95814

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization (CFL)
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ferretnews.org-- CFL Website
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR STATE SENATOR BY VISITING THIS SITE!!
CALL AND WRITE YOUR SENATOR AND GOV. WILSON--DON'T LET OUR BILL DIE!
For pure ferret fun, check out http://www.ferretcalendar.com